A NEW memorial to New Norfolk pioneer Denis McCarty was unveiled in a colourful ceremony today. Derwent Valley mayor Tony Nicholson unveiled the new monument to McCarty, who was appointed as New Norfolk’s first policeman in 1808 and is regarded as the town’s first settler.
The sandstone monument with bronze plaque has been erected at the river end of Ferry St, near to where McCarty had his house and operated the first river crossing. The new memorial is one of a number of commemorations of the bicentenary of New Norfolk but its value as an historical marker is marred by poor spelling and factual errors.
A profile of Denis McCarty can be read here. An earlier monument to him was erected in 1968, marking the 150th anniversary of the start of work on Tasmania’s first major road – from Hobart to New Norfolk (now the Lyell Highway). The large monument and plaque to that project is located on the river’s edge about half way between New Norfolk and Granton.