THE Derwent Valley Council has refused to shed any light on its recent law suit against the Federal Government. At tonight’s council meeting held at Bushy Park, general manager Stephen Mackey said the legal action had been the subject of a closed council meeting and therefore could not be publicly discussed. Mr Mackey said the Local Government Act prevented him from revealing any information about the case, which is believed to involve the loss of federal funding for the Willow Court historic site redevelopment.
Steadfastly resisting several probing manoeuvres by serial questioner Damian Bester, Mr Mackey politely said “thank you for the question” and refused to be drawn on the purpose and cost of the Federal Court action. Mr Mackey would not comment on whether the case was ongoing or abandoned. When presented with information from the Federal Court website showing the council had lodged a Notice of Discontinuance on March 26, he simply said: “Well then you have your answer.”