Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for HEAVY RAINFALL
For people in Upper Derwent Valley, South East and parts of Western, East Coast, Central Plateau and Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 2:37 pm Saturday, 25 November 2017.
A broad low pressure trough over Tasmania combined with a warm, moist airmass from the north is causing showers and thunderstorms over the state this afternoon and evening.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include New Norfolk, Bothwell, Hobart, Geeveston, Dover and Dodges Ferry.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 5:40 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 216.