THE following information was provided to members of the public attending tonight’s public meeting at the Lachlan Community Hall.
The Glenfern fire is burning in dry forest and plantations in the Glenfern Rd and Reddell Rd area, across to Moss Beds Rd and just to the west of Top Swamp Rd.
The fire is currently not contained. Much of the fire is burning in steep, rocky terrain, and vehicle access is difficult. Several TFS units are in attendance, as are air resources. A significant spot-fire began at Illabrook Rd, with PWS crews responding.
With today’s calmer weather, crews have been working to construct containment lines, extinguish spotfires and prepare for a forecast return to very high fire danger weather across Thursday and Friday this week.
Planning is underway to determine if backburning operations will be suitable to control this fire. If this proceeds, there may be an increase in smoke across Lachlan.
Weather conditions are expected to worsen on Thursday and Friday this week, with dry winds and warm temperatures. The fire danger ratings for both days are predicted to be Very High. The fire is likely to travel in a southeasterly direction.
THERE WILL BE A TOTAL FIRE BAN FOR THURSDAY 31st OCTOBER AND FRIDAY 1st NOVEMBER
Further community meetings will be held where necessary.
For information on fires in Tasmania and general fire safety advice, please contact the Tasmanian Bushfire Information Line (free call) 1800 000 699.
Check for the latest warnings and advice messages at:
- Local ABC radio: tune to 936 on the AM band
For information on how smoke from bushfires can affect your health, and emergency assistance availability: www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/publichealth/alerts/air
AFTER THE FIRES
The Department of Health and Human Services offer a range of support services including personal, emotional, psychological and financial help. For information go to www.dhhs.tas.gov.au
BUSHFIRE ADVICE MESSAGE FOR MOSS BEDS RD, TOP SWAMP RD AND SURROUNDING AREAS AT LACHLAN
Issued At: 30/10/2019 9:48pm
There is a bushfire at Glenfern Rd, Glenfern. There is no immediate threat. Fire under these conditions can be difficult to control.
What to do:
- People in Moss Beds Rd, Top Swamp Rd and surrounding areas at Lachlan should keep up to date by listening to ABC Local Radio or look at the TFS website at www.fire.tas.gov.au.
- Well prepared homes are defendable in these conditions.
- If you are not prepared for a bushfire, think about leaving for a safe place if it gets more dangerous.
- If your family has made a bushfire survival plan, check it now.
Incident number: 19032354
- For information on current road closures, please visit the Tasmania Police website: http://www.police.tas.gov.au/community-alerts/
- For advice is available from the Department of Health www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/publichealth/air/bushfire_smoke or the Asthma Foundation of Tasmania www.asthmatas.org.au
Alert Level: ADVICE
Type: Vegetation Fire
Last Updated: 30-Oct-2019 09:48 PM
First Reported: 29-Oct-2019 12:55 PM
Location: Glenfern Rd, Glenfern
Agency: Tasmania Fire Service
Size: 164 hectares
Tasmania Fire Service Resources Mobilised:
1 x MEDIUM TANKER