Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Weather Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Upper Derwent Valley, South East and parts of Western, East Coast, Central Plateau and Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 10:07 pm Thursday, 14 November 2019.
DAMAGING NORTHWESTERLY WINDS ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN TASMANIA LIKELY DURING THURSDAY EVENING AND EARLY FRIDAY MORNING
Weather Situation: A strong and gusty west to northwesterly airstream flows across Tasmania ahead of an approaching cold front, expected to cross Friday morning.
DAMAGING WEST TO NORTHWESTERLY WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 100 km/h, are possible over parts of southeastern Tasmania.
Elevated areas in the south and southeast may experience damaging winds this evening. Remaining areas in the south and southeast, including HOBART, may experience damaging winds until early Friday morning.
Locations which may be affected include New Norfolk, Bothwell, Hobart, Geeveston, Dover and Dodges Ferry.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Supervise children closely.
* Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
* Manage pets and livestock.
* Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment.
* Be prepared in case of power outages and report any outages to TasNetworks on 132 004.
* Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving.
* Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.