Bureau of Meteorology
Severe Weather Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Furneaux Islands, Western, Upper Derwent Valley, South East, North East, Central Plateau and parts of East Coast, North West Coast, Central North and Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 10:59 am Monday, 2 December 2019.
DAMAGING WESTERLY WINDS DURING TUESDAY AFTERNOON
Weather Situation: A cold, strong west to southwesterly airstream will flow across Tasmania during Tuesday, with the strongest winds expected during the afternoon.
DAMAGING WESTERLY WINDS, averaging 50 to 60 km/h with peak gusts of 90 to 100 km/h, are possible from midday on Tuesday across southern, western and central Tasmania, as well as parts of the east.
Winds are expected to ease by early Tuesday evening.
Locations which may be affected include Strahan, New Norfolk, Bothwell, Hobart, Geeveston and Dover.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Supervise children closely.
* Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
* Manage pets and livestock.
* Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment.
* Be prepared in case of power outages and report any outages to TasNetworks on 132 004.
* Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving.
* Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.