THE local Australia Day observance in New Norfolk will be held on the Derwent Esplanade this Sunday, January 26, with free activities and entertainment for all ages. Events will also be held at Bushy Park and Maydena.
The day kicks off at each location at 10am. At the Esplanade, this will be the starting time for the Tasmanian Roadrunners’ Derwent Valley Fun Run and Walk. The categories and 5km walk/run and 10km run. Entries will be accepted on the day.
The rest of the Esplanade program includes music by the Derwent Valley Concert Band and the long-established local group The Sign, as well as the flag raising, announcements of Australia Day award recipients and an address by the Australia Day Ambassador, Rosalie Martin.
The New Norfolk Lions Club will host a free Australia Day barbecue, including a vegetarian option for the first time. Free children’s activities will be provided by the Derwent Valley Youth Future Action Team (D’FAT), the Salvation Army and the Derwent Valley PCYC. Facepainting will be available from the Hedgehog Fairy and the Guardian Pharmacy will provide free water and sunscreen. Food and drink vans will be on site. First aid support will be provided by local members of St John Ambulance.
Program – January 26, 2020
At the Derwent Esplanade, New Norfolk
- 10am Event begins
- 10am: Derwent Valley Fun Run & Walk begins
- 10:15am: The Sign perform on the main stage
- 11.15am Derwent Valley Fun Run & Walk presentations – main stage
- 11:30am Derwent Valley Concert Band Community Winds perform at side of main stage
From noon – Official Proceedings, main stage
- Australia Day Ambassador Rosalie Martin
- Flag-raising ceremony
- Citizenship ceremony
- National Anthem
12.45pm – Break
- The Sign perform on the main stage
1pm – Official Proceedings resume, main stage
- Australia Day Awards presentation
1.30pm – Colour Run
2pm – Event finishes
| At the New Norfolk Swimming Pool (Esplanade, Page Avenue):
- From 10am: Free entry, treasure hunt (11am), sausage sizzle (noon) and bomb competition (1pm)
| At the Bushy Park Swimming Pool (Gordon River Rd, Glenora):
- From 10am: Free entry and activities, sausage sizzle (noon)
| At Maydena:
- 10am: Assemble at playground for walk/run/ride to Junee Cave. Refreshments provided before returning to Maydena
- Followed by free barbecue lunch at the Giants Table and activities in the paddock