CANCELLATION of this year’s Derwent Valley Autumn Festival and the temporary suspension of the New Norfolk High St market are among the latest local impacts of the state’s attempt to reduce the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19.
In other developments, tonight’s Derwent Valley Council meeting has been relocated to the New Norfolk War Memorial Hall to allow for the practice of “social distancing”. Everyone attending the meeting will be required to sit 1.5m away from each other.
Advice about where to find official information about COVID-19 now appears at the top of the New Norfolk News homepage, including general advice about helping to reduce the spread of the virus. The best information is sourced from: World Health Organisation; Australian Government Department of Health; and the Tasmanian Government Department of Health.
The New Norfolk Olympic Swimming Pool has today announced its immediate closure in response to public health warnings. This is a week earlier than the anticipated end-of-season closure. Bushy Park War Memorial Swimming Pool’s season ended last week.
The Southern Football League board last night voted to accept the recommendation of the AFL to suspend all games until May 31. This includes playing as well as training. The New Norfolk District Football Club and New Norfolk Junior Football Club have cancelled their training sessions.
- Corumbene Home: temporarily closed to visitors;
- Woolworths: new opening hours 8am-8pm (7am-8am for seniors);
- Derwent Valley Community House: temporarily closed;
- Anzac Day events: cancelled;
- Anglican Church services: temporarily suspended;
- Catholic Church public masses: temporarily suspended;
- Shanghai Chinese Restaurant: temporarily open for takeaways only;
- Derwent Valley Visitor Information Centre: temporarily closed;
- Derwent Valley Youth Week: postponed;
- Communities for Children school holiday activities: cancelled;
- Communities for Children “fix a bike” program: cancelled;
- Hobart Speedway (Sorell Creek): March 28 meeting cancelled;
- Southern Cricket Association first grade grand final: cancelled;
- United Gung Fu Academy of Martial Arts: Classes at public and school venues postponed;
- Targa Tasmania and Agfest: cancelled for this year;
- New Norfolk High St Market: temporarily suspended;
- Derwent Valley Autumn Festival: cancelled;
- Southern Football League: season delayed until May 31;
- New Norfolk District Football Club: training suspended;
- New Norfolk Junior Football Club: training suspended;
- Derwent Valley Council meeting: moved to memorial hall;
- New Norfolk Olympic Swimming Pool: closed until next season;
- Glen Derwent Tea Rooms: temporarily closed;
- Black Swan bookshop/cafe: temporarily closed;
- Derwent Valley Railway: New Norfolk station and workshops temporarily closed to the public;
- Maydena Railtrack Riders: temporarily closed to the public;
- Maydena Community Association: meetings temporarily suspended.
Send updates: email@example.com