Barking dogs alert homeowners to housefire

FIRE caused $300,000 damage to a house at Hayes on Saturday night. The Tasmania Fire Service says the blaze was caused by a build-up of bird’s nests in a wall cavity near a wood heater flue.

Crews from the New Norfolk and Magra fire brigades were called to the Lyell Hwy fire just after 6pm on Saturday, finding the roofspace fully engulfed in flames on arrival.

“The owners of the property were alerted to the fire by their dogs barking and were able to escape unharmed before calling Triple Zero,” fire investigator Adam Doran said.

“At this time of year, TFS encourages property owners to conduct maintenance on their chimneys and flues, and this includes checking the area under the eaves and in the roofspace to ensure there is nothing flammable that can catch alight,” Station Officer Doran said.

“The brick cottage-style two bedroom house had working smoke alarms and the damage is estimated to be $300,000,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

LIKE THIS ARTICLE? SHARE ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook
Email
Twitter
LinkedIn

Local Weather

COVID-19 Advice and Links

Latest headlines

Filter by topic

New Norfolk News Archive

RSS Tas articles feed

Logo of New Norfolk and Derwent Valley News

Subscribe to free daily news email

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )
%d bloggers like this: