AN outdoor church service will be held on Arthur Square at New Norfolk tonight (Saturday) as St Matthew’s Anglican Church adapts its Christmas celebrations to suit the coronavirus year.
The St Matthew’s Singers and the Derwent Valley Concert Band will be part of this service, known as the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. The service includes Bible readings, prayers and carol-singing.
This combined churches event has been celebrated at St Matthew’s for more than 30 years. It has its origins in Truro, Cornwall, in 1880, and has been adapted for use all over the world. Since 1918 it has been an annual fixture at King’s College, Cambridge, and from there it has been broadcast to the world since 1928.
The Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols will be at Arthur Square in New Norfolk’s town centre, at 6pm today. All welcome.
CHRISTMAS EVE CHURCH SERVICES
- SALVATION ARMY: Christmas Eve Service, Derwent Valley Corps, Hamilton Rd, New Norfolk, 7pm.
- CATHOLIC: Vigil Mass for families, St Peter’s Church, New Norfolk, 5pm and 6.30pm. Bookings required
- CATHOLIC: Midnight Mass, St Peter’s Church, Hillside Crescent, New Norfolk, 9pm. Bookings required
- ANGLICAN: Carols, Readings and Nativity at St Andrew’s Church, Ellendale, 6pm.
- ANGLICAN: Holy Communion at St Matthew’s Church, Bathurst St, New Norfolk, 10pm.
CHRISTMAS DAY CHURCH SERVICES
- ANGLICAN: Holy Communion at St Matthew’s Church, Bathurst St, New Norfolk, 9am.
- ANGLICAN: Christmas service at St John’s Church, Ouse, 10am.
- CATHOLIC: Christmas Mass, St Andrew’s Church, Bothwell, 10am. Bookings required
- CATHOLIC: Christmas Mass, St Colman’s Church, Ellendale, 11.30am. Bookings required
CHRISTMAS DAY COMMUNITY LUNCH
WHERE: Arthur Square, New Norfolk.
WHAT: Free community lunch in a picnic style, catered by combined churches. Noon-3pm.