Eagles storm home under lights

Women’s Report – Chris Lovell
NEW New Norfolk was at home against South East Suns Grey on the big Boyer Oval last Saturday for the only game of the round for the Eagles. It was going to be a tough game as the Suns were looking for revenge after a first-round loss to the Eagles. They were also coming off a strong win against Claremont White the previous week, so would be full of confidence.

Play started at 2.30pm in bright, sunny conditions, although the ground was wet and slippery underfoot. The first quarter was an even affair with both sides struggling to get the ball into their forward fifty. The play was scrambly with both sides attempting to get some system into their play. Quarter-time scores reflected the evenness of the
contest with scores tied at one goal each.

The second quarter saw the Suns step up the pressure with multiple forward entries. The Eagles were defending strongly with Captain Sophie Farrow repelling many attacking moves. The Suns managed to score two goals while the home side could only manage a point for the quarter. Things took a dramatic turn just prior to the half-time siren when a Suns player injured her ankle in a strong tackle. An ambulance was called and due to the extent of the injury the player could not be moved from the ground until the ambulance arrived. This resulted in a half time break of an hour.

The second half was reduced to two 12-minute quarters, which would make the home side’s task of overhauling the Suns that much harder. The third quarter started at 4.15pm, under lights. The home side came out full of running after the extended break and were all over their opponents launching many attacking moves. The move of Sophie Farrow to the midfield was paying dividends as the Eagles had the play continuously in their forward half.

Unfortunately, they were inaccurate in front of goal only managing to kick one goal two behinds from many attempts at goal. Although the home team had all the play in their forward half, a late forward entry by the Suns resulted in a goal which was a slightly disappointing result for the Eagles.

The final term was a tight struggle. An early Eagle goal left them trailing by three points for much of the quarter. With time running out, a good running goal by Bella Cree saw the Eagles hit the lead for the first time in the match. With only one minute and 24 seconds remaining it was important for the home side to maintain possession of the ball from the centre bounce.

The ball was thrown up and some strong tackling in the centre of the ground resulted in a free kick to the Suns. A subsequent 50m penalty provided the visitors with the opportunity to win the game after the siren. Fortunately for the home side the kick fell short, and the Eagles had scored an exciting three-point victory. The cheers could be heard around the town.

The entire team played extremely well, particularly after half-time. The move of captain Sophie Farrow to the midfield was certainly a crucial factor in the second half. Coach Ben Shaw was full of praise for the girls after the game and was particularly pleased with Farrow and Laura Wigg. Wigg had not played football before this season but is developing into one of the best midfielders in the competition. We look forward to more wins by the ladies in the second half of the season.

New Norfolk 4.4 (28) points
South East Suns Grey 4.1 (25)
Best – New Norfolk:
S. Farrow, D. Clifford, C. Mart, J, Skelly, M, Temple, L. Wigg; South East Suns Grey: T. Johnson, J. Kube, E. Bygrave, L. Sims, A. Saunders, J. Roy.
Goals – New Norfolk: N. Bearman 2, B. Cree, M. Temple. South East Suns Grey: E. Bygrave, A. Saunders, T. Roy, L. Sims.

  • The three men’s teams had a bye last weekend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Local Weather

COVID-19 Advice and Links

Latest headlines

Filter by topic

New Norfolk News Archive

RSS Tas articles feed

Logo of New Norfolk and Derwent Valley News

Subscribe to free daily news email

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )