Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology, Tasmania
Initial Minor Flood Warning for the River Derwent
Issued at 8:15 pm EST on Wednesday 28 July 2021
Flood Warning Number 1: MINOR FLOODING MAY DEVELOP ALONG THE RIVER DERWENT BELOW MEADOWBANK DAM THURSDAY.
Minor flooding may develop along the River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam during Thursday morning. Strong river rises are occurring in many tributaries (including the upper Derwent, Nive, Florentine, Tyenna, Styx and Plenty). Flooding is not expected to extend downstream to Macquarie Plains and New Norfolk.
In the 24 hours to 9am Wednesday, rainfall totals of 20 to 50mm have been recorded in the upper Derwent catchment with an isolated total of 90mm at Pine Tree Rivulet. Since 9am rainfall totals of up to 15mm have been recorded. Rainfall totals of 10-20mm have been forecast for overnight Wednesday into Thursday, possibly falling as snow in the upper catchment.Strong and dangerous flows will be a hazard over the next couple of days.
- River Derwent above River Ouse: Strong river rises are occurring along the Nive River and upper Derwent River.
- Tyenna River: Strong river rises are occurring in the Tyenna River during Wednesday evening.
- Styx River: Strong river rises are occurring in the Styx River during Wednesday evening.
- River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam: Minor flooding may occur along the River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam. The River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam is currently at 2.54 metres and rising. The River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam may reach the minor flood level (4.10 m) Thursday morning. The River Derwent at Macquarie Plains is expected to remain below the minor flood level (4.00 m) during Thursday.
- River Derwent around New Norfolk: No flooding is expected.
Flood Safety Advice:
FloodSafe advice is available at www.ses.tas.gov.au
Road closure information is available at www.police.tas.gov.au
For emergency assistance call the SES on telephone number 132 500.
For life threatening situations, call 000 immediately.
The next warning will be issued by 01:30 pm EST on Thursday 29 July 2021.
Latest River Heights:
Location Height of River (m) Tendency Date/Time of Observation
River Derwent below Lake St Clair 1.98 Steady 07:45 PM WED 28/07/21
River Ouse at Ashton 0.65 Steady 07:30 PM WED 28/07/21
River Ouse at 3B Weir 0.73 Steady 07:30 PM WED 28/07/21
River Clyde at Bothwell 0.09 Steady 06:15 PM WED 28/07/21
River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam 2.54 Rising 07:35 PM WED 28/07/21
River Derwent at Macquarie Plains 1.23 Steady 07:42 PM WED 28/07/21
Tyenna River at Newbury 1.01 Steady 06:15 PM WED 28/07/21
River Derwent at New Norfolk 1.00 Rising 07:51 PM WED 28/07/21
This advice is also available by dialling 1300 659 210. Warning, rainfall and river information are available at www.bom.gov.au/tas/flood. The latest weather forecast is available at www.bom.gov.au/tas/forecasts.