Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology, Tasmania
Minor Flood Warning for the River Derwent
Issued at 1:28 pm EST on Thursday 29 July 2021
Flood Warning Number 2: MINOR FLOODING MAY DEVELOP ALONG THE RIVER DERWENT BELOW MEADOWBANK DAM THURSDAY EVENING.
Minor flooding may develop along the River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam during Thursday evening. Strong river rises are occurring in many tributaries (including the upper Derwent, Nive, Florentine, Tyenna, Styx and Plenty). Flooding is not expected to extend downstream to Macquarie Plains and New Norfolk during Thursday.
In the 24 hours to 9am Thursday, widespread rainfall totals of 10 to 30mm have been recorded in the Derwent catchment. Since 9am rainfall totals of up to 12 mm have been recorded. Further rainfall totals up to 10mm have been forecast for the remainder of Thursday, possibly falling as snow in the upper catchment. Strong and dangerous flows will be a hazard over the next couple of days.
- River Derwent above River Ouse: Strong river rises are occurring along the Nive River and upper Derwent River.
- Tyenna River: Strong river rises are occurring in the Tyenna River during Thursday.
- Styx River: Strong river rises are occurring in the Styx River during Thursday.
- River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam: Minor flooding may occur along the River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam. The River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam is currently at 3.78 metres and rising. The River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam may reach the minor flood level (4.10 m) Thursday evening. A minor flood peak may occur overnight Thursday into Friday. The River Derwent at Macquarie Plains is expected to remain below the minor flood level (4.00 m) during Thursday.
- River Derwent around New Norfolk: No flooding is expected.
Flood Safety Advice:
- FloodSafe advice is available at www.ses.tas.gov.au
- Road closure information is available at www.police.tas.gov.au
- For emergency assistance call the SES on telephone number 132 500.
- For life threatening situations, call 000 immediately.
Latest River Heights:
Location Height of River (m) Tendency Date/Time of Observation
River Derwent below Lake St Clair 2.15 Steady 12:45 PM THU 29/07/21
River Ouse at Ashton 1.25 Steady 12:30 PM THU 29/07/21
River Ouse at 3B Weir 1.02 Steady 12:30 PM THU 29/07/21
River Clyde at Bothwell 0.08 Steady 10:15 AM THU 29/07/21
River Derwent below Meadowbank Dam 3.78 Rising 12:35 PM THU 29/07/21
River Derwent at Macquarie Plains 1.65 Steady 12:42 PM THU 29/07/21
Tyenna River at Newbury 0.93 Steady 10:15 AM THU 29/07/21
River Derwent at New Norfolk 1.15 Rising 01:02 PM THU 29/07/21
This advice is also available by dialling 1300 659 210. Warning, rainfall and river information are available at www.bom.gov.au/tas/flood. The latest weather forecast is available at www.bom.gov.au/tas/forecasts.