AN information session will be held next week for people who may be considering running as a candidate in next month’s Derwent Valley Council by-elections. The dual by-election will elect a new mayor and councillor.
Derwent Valley Council general manager Dean Griggs will conduct the information session at 6pm on January 12, at the council chambers in Circle St, New Norfolk. “The session will provide an opportunity to learn how Local Government works so they can make an informed decision,” a spokesperson said.
The presentation will cover a range of areas, such as:
- Roles and responsibilities of mayors and councillors and how they interface with council management;
- Key government legislation and protocols
- Declaring interests
- Code of Conduct
- Training and support available to them as a councillor/mayor
- Functions of the council
Anyone interested in attending the information session is asked to RSVP to the council by noon on January 12 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- By-election timetable
- Candidate nominations open 9am Monday, January 10
- Voter enrolment closes 6pm Thursday, January 13
- Candidate nominations close noon Thursday, January 20
- Nominations announced noon Friday, January 21
- Ballot material delivered to electors by post, January 25-28
- Close of poll 2pm Tuesday, February 22
- Counting starts 9am Wednesday, February 23.