THE Tasmania Fire Service as issued a smoke alert for Hobart and surrounding areas while several landowners in the Midlands are conducting burnoffs which are area generating smoke drift. There is no threat to communities but there may be smoke, ash and embers from these burns visible around Hobart and surrounding areas.
- What to do:
- People at higher risk from the effects of smoke, including those with medical conditions, are advised to have a personal plan for avoiding smoke and managing their health.
- If you are in the area, be careful if you are driving in smoke. Turn on your headlights, drive slowly and be aware there may be fire crews working on the burn.
- If you are near the burn, stay informed in case conditions change by listening to ABC Local Radio or visiting fire.tas.gov.au
- Community Information:
- For information on current road closures, visit www.police.tas.gov.au/community-alerts/
- Advice regarding bushfire smoke is available from the Department of Health website dhhs.tas.gov.au/publichealth/air/bushfire_smoke or Asthma Australia www.asthma.org.au