TASMANIA’S police search and rescue teams are urging Tasmanians and tourists alike to think carefully before heading into the wilderness this week, and over the long weekend. Senior Constable Callum Herbert of Tasmania Police said the forecast weather was grim, and people should reconsider their need to explore this week.
“We’re expecting very cold weather, rain and some of the season’s first heavy snows in alpine areas,” Senior Constable Herbert said. “While we don’t want to discourage people from spending time outdoors, we do need people to avoid taking unnecessary risks.”
“If you’re not experienced in this sort of environment, you should delay your adventure until the conditions improve. If you do decide to go bushwalking or exploring in the snow, please make sure you’re properly prepared – the risks are real,” he said.
* Familiarise yourself with your location and have current maps available * Tell people where you are going and when you will return * Check the current and upcoming weather forecasts * Carry appropriate warm and waterproof clothing with you * Have emergency supplies, a torch, shelter, and a PLB if appropriate. * Phone batteries get depleted in colder weather, so carry a charger and power bank. ON THE ROAD * Be extremely cautious for black ice. * Drive with headlights on in reduced visibility (not park lights). * Obey road closure and restriction warnings. * Slow down and leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the one ahead. * Don't drive in an area that your vehicle is not capable or prepared for.
LOCAL ROAD WARNINGS AS AT 12.30PM WEDNESDAY
(Click here for the full and updated list)
- HAZARDOUS ROADS
- Lyell Hwy – Snow between Wayatinah and Derwent Bridge. Road Closed. Open to 4WDs only.
- Faulkners Rd, Glenlusk.
- Gordon River Rd – Ice and snow from Tim Shea to Scotts Peak Rd – open to 4WD vehicles only.
- Highland Lakes Rd – Township of Steppes to Miena – open 4WD only
- Lake Dobson Rd, Lake Dobson – Snow throughout – open to 4WD vehicles only.
- Lake St Clair Rd, Lake St Clair – Snow throughout – open to 4WD vehicles only.
- Marlborough Rd – snow throughout, particularly Miena to McKenzie Tier – open to 4WD only.