EIGHTEEN candidates are seeking to fill the eight positions around the Derwent Valley Council table in next month’s local government elections. Three of those candidates are also hoping to be elected mayor of the council and six have nominated to be deputy mayor.
In today’s official announcement of candidates by the Tasmanian Electoral Commission, there were no surprises in the names of those running for mayor of the Derwent Valley Council. These are Councillor Phillip Bingley, Mr Peter Binny and Cr Michelle Dracoulis.
The list of deputy mayoral candidates included two names that were not previously known to be in contention. The Six candidates for that position are Mr Phillip Bigg, Cr Luke Browning, Cr Jessica Cosgrove, Ms Sara Lowe, former councillor Mr Wayne Shoobridge, and Cr Natasha Woods.
The full list of candidates seeking election as councillors on the Derwent Valley Council is as follows, in the order released by the electoral commission:
- BIGG, Phillip, of New Norfolk
- BINGLEY, Phillip, of Lachlan
- BINNY, Peter, of Granton
- BROWNING, Luke, of Lawitta
- CARNES, Deb, of New Norfolk
- CHAPLIN, Heather, of Westerway
- COSGROVE, Jessica, of New Norfolk
- DERKSEN, Justin, of New Norfolk
- DRACOULIS, Michelle, of New Norfolk
- GRAHAM, James, of Magra
- HILL, Matt, of New Norfolk
- LOWE, Sara, of New Norfolk
- MARYNIAK, Brett, of New Norfolk
- NELSON, Eve, of Hayes
- SHOOBRIDGE, Wayne, of New Norfolk
- VIRTUE, Liz, of New Norfolk
- WIGGINS, Brody, of New Norfolk
- WOODS, Natasha, of New Norfolk
Across the state, 505 individual candidates are standing for election as councillors. Former Derwent Valley mayor Ben Shaw is seeking election as a councillor in the Sorell municipality.
Postal ballot packs will be delivered to electors in the week starting October 3 and voting closes at 2pm on October 25.