CENTRAL Highlands mayor Lou Triffitt has no challengers for the role in next month’s local government elections. If Cr Triffitt retains her seat as a councillor, she will automatically be returned as mayor. Deputy mayor Jim Allwright is in a contest with Cr Robert Cassidy for the deputy’s position.
Eleven candidates have nominated for election to the nine-seat council table. In the order named by the Tasmanian Electoral Commission, the candidates for the positions of Central Highlands councillors are:
- ALLWRIGHT, Jim, of Ouse
- ARCHER, Anthony, of Bothwell
- BAILEY, Anthony (Tony), of Hamilton
- BOWDEN, Scott, of Bothwell
- CASSIDY, Robert L., of Bothwell
- HALL, John, of Bothwell
- HONNER, Julie, of Miena
- MEACHEAM, David, of Miena
- MILLER, Yvonne, of Hamilton
- TRIFFITT, Loueen (Lou), of Hamilton
- WILKINSON, Rob, of Doctors Point
Postal ballot packs will be delivered to electors in the week starting October 3 and voting closes at 2pm on October 25. For the first time, voting in council elections will be compulsory.