Severe Weather Warning for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Western, Upper Derwent Valley, South East, North East, East Coast, Central Plateau, Midlands and parts of North West Coast and Central North Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5.05pm Tuesday, 27 December 2022: Damaging wind gusts over parts of the state from early Wednesday morning.
Weather Situation: A cold front passing over Tasmania will cause a vigorous north to northwesterly flow over the state. DAMAGING WINDS averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 100 km/h are likely over parts of the state from early Wednesday morning.
Winds are expected to ease from the west during the day on Wednesday. Locations which may be affected include St Helens, Swansea, Strahan, New Norfolk, Hobart and Dover.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Supervise children closely.
* Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
* Manage pets and livestock.
* Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment.
* Be prepared in case of power outages and report any outages to TasNetworks on 132 004.
* Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving.
* Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 11pm Tuesday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210.