POLICE will be taking action against two youths alleged to have been involved in destruction to property using home-made explosive devices at New Norfolk last week.
In a statement, a Tasmania Police spokesperson said there had been reports of loud bangs in the Pioneer Avenue area of the town centre, and in the area of Kensington St, Cowburn Drive and Hazlewood St near Kensington Park, in the early hours of January 25 and 26.
“Minor property damage was caused to a bus shelter, letter box and window. No injuries were reported,” the spokesperson said. “Officers from New Norfolk Police, Bridgewater CIB and the Bomb Response Group conducted a number of searches in the New Norfolk area in the days following, and police have interviewed several youths who are being proceeded against for relevant offences,” they said.
“Police are confident that they have seized all relevant materials and have safely disposed of any remaining explosive devices. This is a timely reminder of the dangers surrounding explosives and that it is an offence to make any explosive device.
“Should a member of the public see any suspicious item, do not handle or move the item. In these circumstances, police should be called at the earliest opportunity so they can attend and make an assessment.”
Police ask anyone with information about the explosions in the New Norfolk area last week to contact either Bridgewater Criminal Investigation Branch on 131 444, or report anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1300 333 000 or go online at https://www.crimestopperstas.com.au/