Severe Weather Warning for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in East Coast and parts of Western, Upper Derwent Valley, South East, North East, Central North and Midlands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 10:57pm Thursday, 3 August 2023.
A strong northwesterly flow is developing ahead of a front on Friday.
Weather Situation: A deep low moving across the Bight will pass by the southwest of the state on Friday, leading to damaging wind gusts across the eastern and southern districts.
Northwesterly winds with DAMAGING WIND GUSTS with peak gusts of around 100 km/h are likely over eastern and southern districts during Friday morning and afternoon. Winds are expected to ease during Friday evening.
Locations which may be affected include Swansea, Bicheno, Orford, Geeveston, Dover and Huonville.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Supervise children closely.
* Check that family and neighbours are aware of warnings.
* Manage pets and livestock.
* Secure outdoor items including furniture and play equipment.
* Be prepared in case of power outages and report any outages to TasNetworks on 132 004.
* Beware of damaged trees and power lines and take care when driving.
* Listen to the ABC radio or check www.ses.tas.gov.au for further advice.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 5am Friday. Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210.