Severe Thunderstorm Warning for DAMAGING WINDS
For people in parts of Western, Upper Derwent Valley, South East and Central Plateau Forecast Districts.
Issued at 7:49 pm Saturday, 28 October 2023: Severe thunderstorms continuing eastward.
CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST UPDATED WARNINGS
Weather Situation: A fast-moving cold front is sweeping over Tasmania this evening, with gusty thunderstorms likely over southern parts. Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Strathgordon and Southport.
Significant wind observations until 7:45pm:
- A wind gust of 120 km/h was recorded at Scotts Peak at 7:43pm.
- A wind gust of 98 km/h was recorded at Low Rocky Point at 6:46pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132500.
See more Derwent Valley and Central Highlands news online and read our print edition every second Friday.